All Ashville Free Library facilities are available to persons of all ages. While everyone has an equal right to access library services and facilities, no person has the right to interfere with the ability of others to use and enjoy library resources, services, and facilities.
For the safety and comfort of library visitors, volunteers, and staff and the protection of library property, the following actions are examples of conduct not allowed on library property:
- Any activity in violation of federal or state law
- Carrying firearms or dangerous weapons of any type, except by law enforcement officials
- Being under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs
- Defacing or otherwise damaging library property
- Smoking, chewing and other tobacco use or eCigarettes (vaping)
- Eating in the library, UNLESS permission is given by the library staff
- Lying down or sleeping on any floor, table, or seat in the library
- Soliciting or conducting surveys not authorized by the library
- Making loud noise
- Running, pushing, shoving, or throwing objects
- Using restrooms for bathing or shampooing, doing laundry, or changing clothes
- Verbally or physically threatening or harassing other visitors, library staff or volunteers, including stalking, staring, touching, or using offensive language
- Using cell phones and pagers in a manner that disturbs other visitors. Cell phone and pager audible ringers must be turned off.
- Entering the library barefooted, without a shirt, with offensive body odor or personal hygiene so as to be disruptive to the library environment.
- Bringing pets or animals, other than service animals, into the library
- Act in ways that disrespect or threaten other library users or library staff.
All bags and other articles are subject to inspection by library personnel. The library reserves the right to limit the size and number of items brought into the library.
Library staff will intervene to stop prohibited activities and behaviors. Failure to comply with the library’s established standards of acceptable behavior may result in removal from the building and/or restriction of library privileges.
Reviewed by Ashville Free Library Board of Trustees 5/24/2022